Detox cleanse, juice fast and ProLon diet are three popular short-term dietary interventions designed to excrete toxins from the body. When fasting, the entire body (including organs) rests, the liver increases its excretion capacity, and toxins are removed. In addition, blood circulation improves, just like nutrients assimilation. Keep reading to find out more about them.
Detox cleans and juice fast
The methods of detox cleanse and juice fast are very similar and, they include:
- Fasting for 1 to 3 days;
- Eating only fresh fruit and vegetable juices (apples, carrots, pineapples, kale, lemon), smoothies, water, tea;
- Drinking only specific detox drinks, such as salted water or lemon juice;
- Taking supplements or herbs;
- Eliminating alcohol, coffee, cigarettes, refined sugar, and other allergen foods;
- Avoid foods rich in carbohydrates and proteins.
The duration and the intensity of the juice fast varies, but generally, the period cannot last more than 3 days to reduce the possibility of developing health risks. High doses of sugar without any fiber could lead to an increase in blood sugar levels and potential symptoms of diabetes and metabolic syndrome).
For those who don’t have properly functioning adrenal glands, juice cleanses may also cause a dangerous imbalance in their salt-to-potassium ratio. Most of the fruits and vegetables are very high in potassium and very low in sodium. The major influx of potassium can cause confusion, headache, nausea, muscle cramps, or spasm.
A detox cleanse period is longer than others, and it can last from a week up to one month. The advantages related to these detoxification protocols are:
- Limiting sugars, which are one of the most common causes of diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Intake of more fresh detox foods, and limiting junk foods (full of sugars and fats).
- Reduction of body weight.
In addition, in this case, an extended duration can cause danger to health such as diarrhea and consequent loss of mineral salts caused by the use of laxatives, headache for the caloric restriction, electrolyte imbalance due to high water consumption, and finally weight gain when people return to their usual diet.
Juice and detox cleanse methods have as a common goal to give the body a break from unhealthy foods and habits that make us feel bad. For this reason, they are very similar to fasting, although they have far less scientific evidence to support them.
Among the big panorama of fasting methods, ProLon is a 5-day dietary program carefully designed to simulate a fasting condition. It is something very new, innovative. It nourishes the body through the consumption of plant-based energy bars, soups, and a variety of snacks, drinks, and supplements. This protocol is low in calories, low in simple sugars and proteins, but high in unsaturated fatty acids.
Some people report feeling more focused and energetic during and/or after a period of detox cleanse or fasting diets. It could be due to eliminating processed foods, like alcohol or sugars. Others may feel more stressed and discharged because of high caloric restriction (particularly in women).
Calorie restriction, generally, promotes longevity and improve people’s health (increase in energy, weight loss, better digestion, and skin). ProLon is the only one based on over 20 years of research, developed by Prof. Valter Longo at the Longevity Institute at the University of Southern California.
Besides the strong scientific evidence, the advantages of ProLon are:
- During the five days, people can eat, although their body is in a fasting condition. They are also free of worries because everything they need comes in a simple box with easy-to-follow instructions.
- It may initiate ketogenesis, which can support weight loss preserving lean body mass.
- It allows the maintenance of healthy levels of metabolic markers (glucose, triglycerides, cholesterol, blood pressure, C-reactive protein).
- Health benefits are sustained up to three months after completing 3 cycles of ProLon.
Unfortunately, also ProLon may have side effects, such as fatigue, weakness, headache due to caffeine abstinence, and lack of energy. This is the reason why it is not for everyone. In certain situations, a healthcare professional can help determine if ProLon is a safe choice for you.
Generally, people who should avoid these particular three kinds of dietary interventions (not only fasting but also juice and detox cleanse) are children, teenagers, elderly, people who are malnourished or suffering from eating disorders, women in pregnancy, or breast-feeding and people with diseases like diabetes.
In conclusion, it is important to choose which fasting method is the most suitable, according to the healthcare provider’s opinion, to your own needs, feasibility, and clinical conditions.
Do you want to know more about ProLon? Get in touch with our knowledgeable nutritionists for free.